Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Good The Bad and the Ugly


The Good:

The Angel House School is open! Let me tell you that American kids have it easy when it comes to school. In Tanzania school starts about an hour before we do in the states. Students have to wear uniforms except for Friday when they can wear a school T shirt if they have one. The uniform code even includes the type of underwear you can wear! I walked in on a punishment where the student wore jeans and a shirt that said “One Love” to school and he was on his knees with his hands behind his head in the office! Yikes! If you don’t have a uniform for the first couple of weeks then you wear dress pants not even khakis, dress pants and a white dress shirt. If it is is cold you put on the school sweater. Being on your knees in the office must have been very intimidating. Tanzania still uses caning as a way of punishment. Although in the Angel House School we are trying different methods of punishment like using the slashers to cut the grass during your break or running a mile. Sounds military doesn’t it? I have not seen push ups yet or anyone peeling potatoes. When answering a question the students must stand up next to the desk. The teachers are VERY strict and the kids honestly respect them. And this is important..... They LOVE school and can’t wait for it to start after each break! Learning is a big deal here because so many can not afford to go to school. I was told that preschool age kids have to go to preschool for 2 years before they can start in the public schools. Just another finical barrier to education. Not to mention the uniforms and shoes and socks and workbooks etc.


The Bad:

This had been a bad couple of months for sickness! I knew I had been busy but while I was in the hospital with one of the kids I added up the sicknesses, 20 malaria, 7 infections and 5 with typhoid. Only one snake bite though. The kids are sleeping under mosquito nets so I’m not sure where the malaria is coming from. I would like to see the grass kept shorter around the house because mosquitoes like the long grass. (so do ticks just ask the dogs) I have even offered to fix the lawn mower. The government was just our to spray for mosquitoes so hopefully that should help!


I had a doctor approach me and ask if he could put a boy, about 8-10 years old in the orphanage. His father is dead and his mother abandon him. He has no place to eat or sleep and has been going around to different people and family members who can afford to keep him a night or two then send him on. I was told he needs 2-3 sponsors from America to help pay for the room and board and for school. So if you are inclined to help this little guy please let me know. His name is George Wilson. (Ever hear that name on Dennis the Mennnis?) I need a sponsor for $45.00 a month and one for $35.00 a month. They can be from a group of people like a church or woman's group or an individual and the $45 a month can be divided between 2 different people. You need to commit for a year. The last time I talked to the doctor George was with an uncle but the uncle travels quite a bit and the wife doesn’t like him so his life there is VERY dificult.


Sorry but I have to put the Ugly in here now:


Mark was trying to grow his hair out. He has had the same basic haircut all his life and decided to make a change. I however couldn’t stand to see his scraggily hair every day. Most the time he wears a hat so I didn’t have to look at it. I threatened to cut it while he slept. Well he finally gave in and let me cut his hair. I did a pretty decent job too for the first time. So I’ve put in some before and after pictures. Hope you get a good laugh. We did save his pony tail. I don’t know what he’s going to do with it but it is on the desk in our bedroom right now.


No snow here as I write this it’s about 85 and I’m hot and sweaty! I could use a little AC right now! How’s it back in Iowa?


TIA Pam


I have to PS this blog:

Having long hair is not what it's cracked up to be. It was fun for a while, but got rather tiresome, but I do thank Pam for letting me try it.


Also, I'm doing this post as Pam is ill, again. She has Malaria for the 4th time and not feeling the best. Bless her heart and please keep her in your prayers.







2 comments:

  1. I like it! Looks like he's ready to lead a revolution! Peace, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures Mark! You look like you're ready for woodstock! Hope Pam is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete