Friday, October 22, 2010

A "Normal" Day

I’ve been asked to describe a normal day, which is kind of hard to do. We have no “normal” days here. We try to get a routine, but that in itself in abnormal. Our days revolve around the kids and what we can do for them.


I won’t go into what Holly and Eric and Liz do. It’s hard to believe how hard those 3 work and all the paperwork they have to wade through and all the officials they have to meet with to get things done for the orphanage and school. Those three seem to be tireless, and I admire their dedication so much. They have no such thing as a normal day, and usually they work from morning to night and then try to stay over night some nights at Angel House.


Pam is currently teaching first aid to the staff, goes to the orphanage daily when the kids get home from school to check on any health needs and also does a lot of sewing and mending.


My routine starts with picking up the fundis (workers) at about 7:30am and taking them out to the orphanage and school building site. I then will drive them home at about 6:00pm or so at night, unless it works out better for Eric to bring them home if he happens to be having bible study which usually ends when the fundis are ready to come home.


In between driving the fundis around, I work on various projects, such as building a bunkbed with Marwa, the general contractor of the school construction. Or work on finishing out the chicken house. I may also repair bunkbeds in the orphanage. If I’m back at the mission house, I may work on shelving I’m building for the orphanage.


I'm writing this Friday night, so here's my Friday. Fridays are staff meeting days. We usually meet for a couple hours with the orphanage staff at the orphanage. I delivered the fundis and attended the meeting. It was over about 10am. I then drove the missionaires and a couple of staff members back to town. After dropping them off so they could do their ‘things’, Marwa and I then went after building materials. We had to take two trips from town out to the building site. We finished up around 4:00pm or so and I then played some softball with the older kids. This basically was just pitching to them to let them hit the ball as they are just learning about softball.


When 6:00 came around, the fundis and missionaries were ready to head back to Tarime. We dropped them off and then Liz, Eric, Pam and I went to supper, getting home about 8pm. A “normal” day. TIA Mark


Here’s some pictures I took while waiting for Marwa order and pay for materials.


Here’s a couch that I noticed just down the street a bit from where we were parked. It’s a bit unusual for this area as it’s not covered in the normal fabric and is pillowed on the back and sides. It actually comes with a single side chair and is 800,000 Tsh, or about $550. Notice the chicken under the table beside the couch.



It’s election time here in Tanzania. The big thing to do is to have a truck with loud speakers on it and drive around town blaring out the candidates name and his or her views and playing loud music. This particular truck seemed to have the actual candidate and was being surrounded and followed by supporters. Notice the guy in front with the Christmas type hat on.



As I was sitting in the truck waiting, I noticed a guy come out of his BBQ/Cafe with two large butcher’s knives and walk down the alley. He proceeded to sharpen those knives on a large cement slab. I was sneaking his photo when he noticed me taking his picture.


He then was all friendly and posed for me.



I then went into his cafe to take another picture of him and he posed with a slab of meat for me. They are so friendly here most of the time, what a nice guy.




TIA Mark

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the time in your long days to write about your life and experiences! What a joy to see that you are helping in ways you do not even know!

    ReplyDelete