Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Good News Bad News

Mark and I took Rhobi to Shirati on Monday morning. Checked at the hospital about the doctor coming on Tuesday and to make sure everything was a go. Got our name on the list of people to see the orthopedic surgeon. Felt pretty good about that. We were told to be at the hospital at 10:00 on Tuesday and the doctor would arrive at 11:00 to see patients. We checked into our "motel". Not much by American standards but Rhobi and Anna, the matrine, thought it was very nice. We did not have A/C, or a TV, only one outlet and not running water. There was a large bucket where you could get cold water to flush the toilet and to wash up with. The bathroom smelled terrible, made me gag to brush my teeth. While we ate supper, the bats flying around the ceiling, kept us company. The 2 inch cockroach met us at the bathroom door. Neadless to say I did not get much sleep (I am very spoiled American but needing to have this Africian experence). So on Tuesday it was back back to the hospital by 9:45(we wanted to be one of the first ones there) we saw about 250 people waiting after we checked in. I saw some of the worst club feet I'd ever seen and bowed knees and saw several people who could only move on there hands and knees. Made our little infection look minor!

The doctors plane arrived about 11:00. You couldn't miss it, it was loud! We waited and waited and waited. Someone told us the doctor likes to go to the fish market and buy fish, another told us he was having coffee upstairs. Being American I thought this was very rude of him. Finally after a 3 hour wait it was finally our turn to see the doctor who looked at our x rays and said they were of poor quality and we had to have them retaken. So we paid the $15,000 shillings to have the x ray and waited in line for them to take the x ray. About 5:00 the x rays were done and we went back to the first line to wait to see the doctor again. We waited and waited and waited. Finally at 8:00 PM the nurse announced that the doctor was going home and every one would have to come back tomorrow. I pretended I didn't understand what he said, and I said , "No Swahili what did you say?" The doctor said come in we'll see you now! After 10 hours of waiting finally we see t he doctor who says, "what have you tried to get rid of this infection?" I told him, amoxicillin, Ceflasporin and Ciprofloxin and he prescribed another antibiotic and sent us home. I had not heard of this anitbiotic but the doctor said it was good against penicillin resistant staff infections. I am hoping that this does in fact work better than the other 3 I tried already. I want to thank everyone for thier prayers and well wished. We came prepared to spend a week and only stayed 2 nights. I am so thankful for the games, coloring book, sweat shirt, candy, crafts and other things people sent to me to keep Rhobi warm and busy. We waited 10 hours and every game and toy helped. So the good news is no surgery, the bad news is we spent a lot of time and money.
Wishing you all a Christ filled Christmas and to know the love of Jesus,
This Is Africa, Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment