Saturday, September 4, 2010





GETTING A PIKIPIKI LICENSE

So of course I canʼt just get a driverʼs license because the mission owns a motorcycle. Iʼve been driving motorcycles since I was 14, and just sold my own motorcycle to help pay our way here. I want to be able to drive the missionʼs motorcycle while Iʼm here. TIA (This Is Africa) applies in a big way to getting licensed.

Day 1: We (me and Zach, our interpreter) go to the police compound area and to the traffic building. At this point, all weʼre doing is seeking information on the process to get the license and are seeking audience with the traffic Director. We wait on a bench for about 1/2 an hour for our turn. While waiting we explain to a couple traffic officers why weʼre here and I show them my Iowa driverʼs license and that Iʼm motorcycle licensed.

Finally, itʼs our turn. We go into the traffic Directors office, and explain what I want to do. The Director is very nice to me, but very intimidating at the same time. He ask me if I know Obama. I say not personally, but heʼs a very good president. He explains he likes Obama very much and will help me get licensed. I need to do 4 things: 1. Get 4 passport size photos 2. Get an eye exam and return with the results 3. Go to the taxing authority and pay fees for processing and licensing fee. 4. Return to the traffic Directorʼs office with all the paperwork and receipts and photos. By the reaction of another traffic officer that was in the room, I take it the Director is doing me a favor and Iʼm skipping a few usual steps.

We go to the TRA, the taxing authority and pay our fees and get receipts.

Day two: The internet cafe also takes passport size photos, so we go to the cafe, get my photo taken and while waiting for them to process the photos, get on the internet. We finish with the internet and then find out the printer does not work, no photos. We go across the street to a photo place and get my photos there.

Day three: Last thing on the list is the eye exam. We head to the hospital. After waiting of course, I pay for the exam and read an eye chart. The chart is at least 20 feet away and beside an open brightly sun-lighted doorway. The examiner writes down the results and we wait for the eye director or whatever he is to come and review the results and sign off. I did not read the chart with both eyes, and the director tells me my right eye is not as good as my left and shakes his head. I tell him I drive with both eyes wide open and proceed to read the bottom line of the chart that I couldnʼt read with either eye.He was not amused, but signed off on my exam. He also was very nice to deal with.

We then had to go and find the resident doctor of the hospital to have him sign off on the exam. Come to find out the eye examiner was a student, and he kindly offered to direct us to the doctor. We weave through the people waiting outside the hospital, and past a waiting room with at least 100 people in it and find the doctor. The doctor was very nice, we chatted a bit and he signed off on the exam. Zach tells me he had expected us to have to wait for about 3 hours to see the doctor.

Day 4: We go back to the police compound and wait for the Director. Once in, I hand my paperwork and photos to him. This time he is not as outgoing and is more business like. He looks through the papers and then tells me he needs fare. I was puzzled, but then Zach explained he was asking me for fare to pay for his way to go to Musoma, the district headquarters to file my paperwork. I ask him how much he needed, he said it would cost 10,000, or 20,000, maybe 16,000. I look at Zach, and realize Iʼm on my own and not to involve Zach. I donʼt want to haggle at this point, and just ask him if 20,000 is ok. Heʼs fine with that, I give him the money and he tells us to come back in 3 days.

I felt Zach didnʼt want to get involved with the money haggling and I was right. He said that if he got involved, that maybe next time he was in the traffic office, the Director would not be as nice to him.

Day 5: This is the big day, I get my license, I hope. Zach and I head to the Police compound and to the traffic Directors building. No one there, at all. We sit and wait. After maybe half an hour, the Director shows up. A lady had already gone into his office, but he invites Zach and myself in anyway. The Directors says he has been to Musoma and all is ok. I must now get a small booklet that says driverʼs license on it and go to the TRA for more fees, then return to him. He hands my paperwork to me and off Zach and I go.

I wait at the TRA while Zach rides a pikipiki to town to buy my booklet. He returns and we go into the TRA. I sit while he goes to a TRA clerkʼs desk and I watch as the booklet is put together with the license information and my photo is glued inside and officially stamped. I pay my third fee at the TRA. Seems like I paid one fee that covered the TRA bookwork on me, a learnerʼs permit fee, and now my license fee.

We return to the traffic Directors building, and wait our turn. We eventually go in and the Director takes my booklet, examines the contents, finds a blank page and stamps it and signs the stamp.

He then chats with me a bit, and wants me to learn Swahili. As a matter of fact, he says I am to learn it within 3 months and at that time I am to speak no English. He said if he sees me at the end of the 3 months and I havenʼt learned Swahili, heʼll throw me in jail. I was really glad he was smiling and laughing when he said that. I told him I would try very hard. At least I can drive a pikipiki for 3 months before jail time. TIA Mark

PS:

An update is due on this blog. I was driving to the orphanage with the truck when we were signaled over by traffic police. This is a usual traffic check, about 1/4 mile from the orphanage road. Iʼm informed that I am not licensed to drive a motor vehicle, only a pikipiki and that our insurance sticker is not up to date. The traffic policewoman wants 40,000 tsh. Luckily Michael, a teacher at the orphanage was with me. I think he argued at least 15 minutes with the woman before we finally settled on 20,000 tsh. Now, back to the traffic director and start the process of getting a motor vehicle license. TIA Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment